With the advent of health and wellness trends, more people have become interested in eliminating their unhealthy habits. Smoking is one of the most common unhealthy habits in existence and it can be extremely hard to quit. Fortunately, there are several means to do this – one of which is by chewing nicotine gum.
A lot of people turn to nicotine gum when they want to quit smoking. This is a very effective method as it provides the same type of oral gratification as smoking. Back in the 1980s, nicotine gum came out as a way to help kick this unhealthy habit. Read on to learn more along with some of the best nicotine gum options on the market now.
What is Nicotine Gum?
Nicotine gum is a type of medicated chewing gum that you can purchase over-the-counter even without a prescription. This type of gum delivers an oral dose of nicotine to replace the nicotine smokers get from cigarettes. This makes it an effective replacement for those who smoke or use other tobacco products.
While various nicotine gum products contain the same chemical that’s responsible for the addictive nature of cigarettes and tobacco, it doesn’t contain all the other harmful substances. Also, most of these products are completely sugar-free making them a healthy option.
Nicotine gum is a scientifically tested product. According to research, this can be just as effective as any other aid for quitting the unhealthy habit. But it’s important to note that people have complex and varied reasons for starting to smoke and maintaining this habit. Getting addicted to nicotine is only one aspect of this.
Because of this, experts advise people to use nicotine gum in conjunction with nicotine replacement therapy. Such therapy targets the psychological factors that cause you to smoke. There are different types of therapies depending on the underlying reason for smoking, the severity of the smoking habit, and more.
How Does Nicotine Gum Work
Just like any other nicotine replacement alternatives, nicotine the main purpose of nicotine gum is to reduce nicotine cravings and other common symptoms of withdrawal. Many people who have either tried to quit smoking whether with or without succeeding would know about such products. Among the different kinds of nicotine replacement alternatives, nicotine gum is the most popular.
As aforementioned, nicotine gum is a type of chewing gum that provides the body with nicotine. Most of these products contain nicotine as an active ingredient along with other ingredients of normal chewing gum. As the user chews the gum, it releases nicotine which, in turn, gets absorbed through the lining of the mouth.
Then the nicotine that’s absorbed gets released into the bloodstream where it starts doing its work. Chewing nicotine gum can help reduce anxiety, irritability, and most of all, nicotine cravings felt by the body. Of course, these symptoms won’t stop immediately. It would take some time for the gum to provide the intended effect on the body.
Pros and Cons of Nicotine Gum (300)
Once you decide to start chewing nicotine gum, you should stop smoking too. Otherwise, you might end up with a nicotine overdose. Before starting to use this medicated gum, speak with your doctor. This is especially important if you suffer from ulcers, high blood pressure, heart problems or an overactive thyroid.
Consulting with a doctor is also recommended if you have dentures or have had any other types of dental work done in the past. Nicotine gum offers valuable help if you decide to kick the smoking habits. Each product comes with its own instructions for use that you should follow carefully.
As long as you use nicotine gum as directed, this will improve your chances of quitting. But as with any other product, nicotine gum comes with its own set of pros and cons. Let’s take a look at them now:
One of the main reasons why nicotine gum is the most popular nicotine replacement alternative is that it does offer a number of benefits that other products don’t have. Here are the pros of nicotine gum:
- Nicotine gum helps reduce the common symptoms associated with nicotine withdrawal like cravings, irritability, headaches, and more.
- With nicotine gum, you are in control of the dosage. As long as you consider the recommended dosage, using this product may yield a lot of positive results. For instance, if you’re having a particularly bad craving, you can pop a piece of gum in your mouth to deal with it. Keep observing your body to notice any changes too.
- While chewing nicotine gum, it’s easier for the body to absorb the nicotine content compared to when you use a nicotine patch, thus, providing you with faster relief. You can also combine nicotine gum with nicotine patches to enhance the effects. Just check with your doctor first.
- Nicotine gum comes in different strengths. You can choose the product depending on how many cigarettes or tobacco products you’re used to.
As with any other product, nicotine gum also comes with a number of cons. It’s important to know about these drawbacks too so that you can make an informed decision on whether this type of nicotine replacement is the best choice for you or not. Here are the cons:
- If you don’t use the gum correctly or if you swallow it by accident, you may experience a number of adverse side effects.
- As with smoking, chewing nicotine gum frequently can cause you to get addicted to it. According to studies, up to 20% of smokers who start using nicotine gum to quit only find success after using it for at least a year. However, most doctors recommend that you limit the use of nicotine gum to only six months in order to avoid addiction. Of course, continuing with the gum is still a safer option compared to smoking.
- It’s not suitable for pregnant women to use nicotine gum as this may cause harm to the fetus. For those suffering from other medical conditions, it’s recommended to check with the doctor first to ensure safety.
Quitting smoking with nicotine gum
Nicotine gum is a type of therapeutic nicotine designed to help smokers reduce their dependence on cigarettes gradually. This type of gum proves to be very effective as it provides the nicotine needed by the body sans the other harmful chemicals contained in tobacco products.
Nicotine gum is an OTC medication you can use as needed. This means that if you feel like you don’t need a nicotine fix, you don’t have to chew a piece of gum. While you don’t need a prescription to purchase nicotine gum, remember that this is still a type of medication. Therefore, you must use it as directed on the product’s packaging.
Best Nicotine Gum Reviews
Habitrol Nicotine Gum 2mg
Habitrol Nicotine Gum 2mg has a minty flavor and it serves as an aid for smoking cessation. By chewing this gum, you can also reduce your withdrawal symptoms and cigarette cravings. Use this gum as part of your efforts to stop smoking, especially when you can’t quit “cold turkey.”
This nicotine gum is also suitable for smokers who aren’t ready to completely quit but need a temporary replacement for nicotine. This gum works by releasing nicotine through the lining of the mouth. Habitrol Nicotine Gum 2mg mimics the effects of cigarettes sans the harmful chemicals. It’s also available in 4mg.
- It’s sugar-free and provides an intense minty flavor.
- It helps reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- It has a special coating for the flavor to last longer.
- Some have not liked the flavor as real good.
Kirkland Signature Quit Smoking Nicotine Gum, 4mg
The first time you try Kirkland Signature Quit Smoking Nicotine Gum, the pleasant taste may surprise you. The flavor is fruity and light and you can easily tell how much nicotine you get because the color changes from yellow to white as you chew. This makes it easier to chew giving you a more pleasant overall experience.
This gum is also more affordable than other options on the market, one feature that a lot of consumers appreciate. Each piece of gum even comes out easily from the packaging. Since Kirkland Signature Quit Smoking Nicotine Gum is a 4mg product, it’s suitable for those who smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day or those who need their first cigarette within half-an-hour after waking up.
- The 4mg gum contains nicorette active ingredient.
- It has a pleasant taste making it easier to chew and keep in your mouth.
- It’s one of the more affordable nicotine gum options on the market.
- With heavy use, it tends to stain the teeth yellow.
Basic Care Nicotine Gum 2mg
Basic Care Nicotine Gum is an excellent choice for those undergoing nicotine replacement therapy. Chewing this gum makes it easier for you to wean off cigarettes when you’re trying to quit smoking. It helps control, regulate, and reduce the nicotine cravings of the body. While this product is a 2mg gum, it’s also available in 4mg for those who need a more potent option.
As with other 2mg products, this Basic Care Nicotine Gum variation is ideal for those who need to smoke their first cigarette of the day more than half an hour after waking up. It also aids in the reduction of other withdrawal symptoms making it easier to quit smoking.
- It’s affordable but it works just as well as more expensive products.
- It comes in an original flavor that is neither too mild nor too intense.
- It helps reduce the body’s nicotine cravings along with other symptoms of withdrawal.
- The flavor tends to fade away too soon.
Nicorette Nicotine Gum to Quit Smoking, 4mg
This Nicorette Nicotine Gum to Quit Smoking is specially formulated to help you quit smoking. It contains nicotine as an active ingredient and it features patented dual-coated technology. This 4mg product is perfect from those who smoke a lot but it also comes in a lower dose of 2mg.
Nicorette Nicotine Gum to Quit Smoking comes in a cinnamon flavor providing you with a bold taste and a unique experience. Chewing this gum helps relieve anxiety, restlessness, frustration, irritability, and cravings that are commonly associated with trying to kick smoking habits. Just make sure to complete the whole program to ensure the best results.
- Provides powerful relief for even the most intense cravings.
- Offers a great taste with its cinnamon flavor and patented dual-coated technology.
- Helps relieve other symptoms of withdrawal associated with trying to quit smoking.
- Some users claim that it causes a sensation in the throat.
Good Sense Nicotine Polacrilex Lozenge 2mg
Good Sense Nicotine Polacrilex Lozenge works by releasing specific amounts of nicotine in a controlled, less intense, and slower pace compared to cigarettes. Because of this, you can concentrate more on changing your addictive behaviors rather than trying to satisfy your cravings all the time. Because of how it works, this 2mg lozenge doubles your chances of kicking the habit.
This product is also available in 4mg for those who need a stronger nicotine fix. The Good Sense Nicotine Polacrilex Lozenge is an excellent addition to any nicotine replacement therapy. Using a minimum of 9 lozenges each day for a period of 6 weeks can help increase the chances of success.
- Works differently compared to cigarettes to help strengthen your willpower to quit smoking.
- It helps reduce the symptoms of withdrawal commonly associated with trying to quit smoking.
- Comes in 2mg and 4mg dosages depending on the smoker’s need.
- Some say that it’s too sweet.
How to Use Nicotine Gum?
Before you start using nicotine gum, consult with your doctor. You can also consult with a pharmacist when purchasing nicotine gum to make sure that the product you plan to purchase suits your own needs. Also, make sure that you don’t suffer from any health conditions that might worsen because of this gum.
If you’re taking any medications, check with your doctor too as the nicotine might cause harmful interactions. Once you have checked with the right people and made the choice to start a nicotine gum regimen, follow these steps:
- Choose a date when you plan to quit smoking (or at least try) and this will be the same date when you start using nicotine gum.
- Choose a nicotine gum brand. Use the review of the best nicotine gum brands in the previous section of this article.
- While each individual product has its own directions for use, there are general guidelines for using nicotine gum. Chew a piece of gum every 1 to 2 hours each day for 6 weeks. This allows you to use a minimum of 9 pieces of gum a day.
- While you chew nicotine gum, don’t consume anything at least 15 minutes before. Also, don’t consume anything while chewing the gum.
- To increase your chances of kicking the smoking habit, complete the whole 12-week program of using nicotine gum.
Should you use 2mg or 4mg nicotine gum?
Most nicotine gum products come in 2 strengths – 2mg and 4mg. The specific dose to take depends mainly on the number of cigarettes you smoke each day. Generally, if you smoke less than 20 cigarettes each day, you may opt for the 2mg nicotine gums. But if you smoke more than that, you would be better off with the 4mg dose.
How many cigarettes equals 2mg of nicotine gum?
Nicotine gum containing 2mg of nicotine has approximately the same amount of nicotine as 1 cigarette. You can use this dose if you can wait for more than half an hour after waking up in the morning before you have your first cigarette of the day.
How many cigarettes equals 4mg of nicotine gum?
Nicotine gum containing 4mg of nicotine has approximately the same amount of nicotine as 2 cigarettes. You can use this dose if you can’t wait for more than half an hour after waking up in the morning before you have your first cigarette of the day.
How long should you chew nicotine gum?
If you have come up with a schedule for chewing your nicotine gum, make sure that you haven’t consumed anything at least 15 minutes before popping one in your mouth. As with regular chewing gum, you would chew nicotine gum the same way. But to ensure complete and steady nicotine release, there is a special technique for you to follow.
As you chew nicotine gum, you may notice a tingling sensation in your mouth. Chew the gum for a while then “park” it inside your mouth between your teeth and inner cheeks. Then chew some more and repeat this cycle until the tingling sensation fades away. This means that the gum has already released all of its nicotine content.
This chew and park method can take up to half an hour. Just make sure that you don’t swallow the gum. Also, don’t chew more than a single piece of gum each time. As you progress with your nicotine gum regimen, if you notice a reduction in your cravings, you may reduce the frequency of your gum-chewing too.
Nicotine Gum Side Effects
While you may enjoy chewing nicotine gum, don’t forget that it’s still a form of medication. Because of this, it comes with a number of potential side effects. Although it isn’t possible to eliminate these side effects completely, you can minimize the risk of experiencing them by using the gum correctly and carefully.
For one, try not to chew the gum too fast. Also, try not to chew nicotine gum one piece after another. These can help reduce the possibility of experiencing side effects. Still, you should know about the potential side effects so you know what to expect while using nicotine gum. Some of the most common side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sores or blisters in the mouth
- Jaw, tooth or mouth discomfort
- Breathing difficulties
- Pounding or rapid heartbeat
These side effects might throw you off and cause you to stop taking nicotine gum. If you experience any of these, consult with your doctor. Usually, the side effects may go away after your body adjusts to the gum. But it’s best to consult with your doctor to ensure your safety. Your doctor might even recommend that you change products.
Nicotine gum is a great replacement for cigarettes as it doesn’t contain other harsh chemicals that may cause harm to your body. However, using it for extended periods of time outside of the recommended time frame may cause a number of adverse side effects too. But used correctly and only as needed, nicotine gum can be a great help.
Throughout this article, you have learned a lot of valuable information about nicotine gum. We have also provided you with some of the best nicotine gum products available on the market now. With all this information, you can make a smarter choice to find the best product to suit your needs and help you quit smoking.